I have been receiving queries about how to change the Display Name of a field in SharePoint List / Library.
It is very simple. However, we should be aware of the fact that when we first time create a field in List / Library that becomes the internal name of that field as well. If we change the name of field that only change the Display name of the field not the internal field name
. Create a Field in List (field name: FirstName)
· Then modify the Field (FirstName) by using List Settings (modify it like: First Name)
· After rename, go back to list settings
· Scroll down to list columns
· Click on the field name (First Name)
· Note the URL of the page. You will find like (http://…… &Field=FirstName)
Which shows that changing the name of field only change the display name of field and internal field name remain the same as we created.